Manchester bombing echoes IS attack on Bataclan (Paris) and of youth being targeted

"Liberty, equality, fraternity". These three words define my country. I was born and grew up in France. France is a wonderful country which is so rich in history, in culture and in splendid places. But this country in which I always lived a peaceful life without any problems suddenly sunk into a one full of violence and tragedy.

The day when everything changed was November 13, 2015. On that day I went home after university to my mother’s house for the weekend. While the rest of my family was watching a football game of the France team, I was in my room studying. 

Suddenly my Mom came into my room and told me "Alicia there is a problem, something happened. I think it's serious. A bomb exploded in the stadium of France during the game…" I asked her puzzled and naive if the situation is really serious. I didn’t understand in that moment the huge tragedy for my country. 

While I was searching for more information in social networks, I saw that there was not only one bomb that exploded, but also other bombs in different places of Paris. There were less than 10 dead for now. I joined my family watching TV. I heard the tears in the voice of the presenter of the football match and on the faces of the supporters. 

I spend the night watching TV to follow this surreal event and I saw our president announced: « we are at war ». 

129 people of all origin and all religion lost their life this night. 

I was especially affected by the attack at the Bataclan theater in the 11th arrondissement of Paris. A week after that, I went to a concert. I will never forget the ambiance of this evening. I saw the sorrow and the fear in the eyes of each people there that night. Something which was supposed to be a great moment became one of the most painful.

556 days after that, on 22 May 2017, Islamic State claimed responsibility of a new terrorist attack during a concert. Indeed, a suicide bomber named Salman Abedi blew himself up at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester killing at least 22 concertgoers and injuring 116 others. There are many children and young people among the dead. The explosion happened outside the venue, as people began streaming from the doors.

It is the worst terrorist attack in the UK since 56 people were killed in the 7/7 London bombings in 2005.

A lot of others attacks claimed by Islamic State happened and killed a lot of innocent people during those two dates, but this one touched me more than the others because it remind me what we lived one year and half in my country. 

This is insane to imagine that some people are able to commit suicide in the name of some absurd ideas. They were parents, sons, daughters, sisters, brothers, friends, colleagues and classmates. Some were waiting to collect their children, others were enjoying what should have been a fun night of pop music. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emmanuel Macron: more popular for his handshake than his policy?